Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntconfig.pol for nt4 machines not being applied

Status
Not open for further replies.

deps

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
GB
Hi there,

We have a network with a win2k server and a number of nt4 workstations. I am trying to apply security settings to user profiles as they log on to the domain. I have installed active directory, have all the users in their own OU and as members of a group, and have placed a logon script in the netlogon share. The logon script works fine, so I know that the workstations are finding the netlogon share OK.

Following advice from a variety of sites (including here and Microsoft), I created a ntconfig.pol file using nt4's poledit on a workstation, added the user group and copied it across to the netlogon share (winnt\sysvol\sysvol\domain\scripts). However, despite following all directions to the letter, the policy wasn't applied as users logged on.

I have checked and double checked all the dns settings which appear to be fine, and have also tried to enforce group policy settings (I know these don't work for nt4 clients but I had run out of ideas).

It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get the ntconfig.pol settings to be applied at the workstations. I have even set up a separate workstation with a clean install of nt4 plus every update available, just to start with a clean local registry (to avoid any "tatooing" problems), to no avail.

Please can anyone suggest what to do next - everywhere I look, it says that the policy should be applied but it's not.

(note: the file permissions are OK too).

Many thanks for any help,

Deps

Just in case anyone's interested, I've just this minute managed to solve the problem - it was to do with the initial user profile directory on win2k server that was created when the user account logged in.

I found the ntuser.dat and ntuser.ini files, deleted them, and hey presto (!) the ntconfig.pol settings were applied instantly.

cheers all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back