Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTbackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyboy

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
C:\WINNT\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\bkupuser\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\daily.bks" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:eek:n /m normal /j "daily.job" /l:s /p "4mm DDS" /um

All

The above is in my script, which is kicked off every night, it justs over writes any data on any tape. Otherwise its sits there like an ass waiting for confirmation. The problem I have got isnt the backup running, its runs without fail but here are the problems:-

cant seem to save a catalog anywhere or find one.

Only seems to display 5 backups in the restore box even though I have more when I view it with RSM.

Last nites backup can be seen with rsm and not with NTbackup. Arhh

Any help would be great, yes I wish i had Veritas but i dont :(

Somebody answer this guy!
Or has he fiqured it out?
I'm really interested in finding how reliable ntbackup is.

Not really sure what the problem is.

Are you wanting to confirm the backup was successful? if so open Scheduled tasks in System Tools.
Click on Advanced\View Log
use find to look for line beginning with ***** this will take you to the most recent entry and will give you info on the latest backup.
In answer to idealmonster I have used NTBackup without any problems for over 2 years. Just make sure you have at least SP2 installed.

I recommend NTbackup over paying for Arcserve or such. Used for more than 8 years on dozens of installs. If you run the restore wizard (new in Win2k) you can call a past list of backups as far back as you want...

I think I have the same problem; even putting aside the apparent fickle behaviour of rsm in recognising a tape, my problem is that when a cli backup is run from an AT job, and includes a /n option to name the tape, the tape does not show with its new name in the restore GUI, and attempst to catalogue it demand the tape be loaded even though it is. If I don't /n it, it seems ok.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back