Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTBACKUP Won't Restore to Different Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarnold

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2001
US
Running Exch 5.5 SP4 on W2K SP2 server in native mode W2K domain. I am attempting to restore the IS to a different server. For reasons that I won't bore you with, the backup that I want to use for the restore was made with NTBACKUP to a file on the production server disk subsystem. Everything is fine when setting up the restore until I click on the Start Restore button and am presented with the Restoring Microsoft Exchange dialog. In the Exchange Information Store section, the "Restore To" field is grayed out with name of the original server in the field. The browse button is grayed out. I cannot restore to a different server. Any idea how to enable restore to a different server?

Rich

Directory is server name specific. Restoring it as well? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

No, selected the IS only.

Rich

Don't you wish you could pull some questions back.

In case anyone else ever has the same brain lapse, you have to check one of the options under the "Restore to" field in order to activate the "Restore to" field.

Rich

You said it was win2000 that your working with. Dion't know if my experience is any good to you, but I have been restoring an exchange server to a recovery server in NT4 and using NTBACKUP. When you are presented with the restore options the destination server is greyed out, i choose to restore anyway ~~(it was off the production network) the BACKUP software will then present you with a box to type the name of the destination server. This is where you can type the name of the server that you want to restore to.

Also in NT4 you can connect to the new exchange server from the file menu 1st if you want, maybe then this server would show in the greyed out box when you go to retore..

Mike

Win2k backup is awesome. Never tried to schedule but it is by far better than NT4. And help talks about Veritas. Hmm... Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back