Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTBackup Freezing Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylan

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I'm working with a 2003 SBS Standard Server. It was running 2003 SP1 back when the problems started, and now it is running 2003 SP2.

At some point the NTBackup application started freezing the server. We thought the issue was the tape hardware, but upon backing up to a BKF file we still have the same problem.

There were some errors about VSS, but I found some MS KB articles that had me re-register quite a bit of dlls. I still get a 6013 VSS error is SQL (MSDE) for ACT! is running. When I stop the ACT! services I do not get any errors during NTBackup (to disk). The server will freeze (lock up) during backup and require a push of the reset button. There are no errors in any of the event logs.

Here's the strangest part: The server will let me get a system state backup about 1 out of 5 times. Since there aren't any errors when it does freeze I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

I'm know that Tek-Tips is a great forum site.... so thanks in advance for your responses!

Try installing UPHClean from the Microsoft Web Site.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I'll be happy to try that, but what makes you think that will do anything? Have you seen it fix problems related to backup?

Yes, it can correct problems with System State where a registry key is locked.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

You also might narrow down the issue by running a full file backup that does not include system state, and a separate system state-only backup.

When it succeeds with the System State backup, are there any errors?

Have you run a chkdsk /f recently to make sure that this isn't a disk-error related crash? It could be that the backup is accessing a file that is on an undiscovered bad sector.

Dave Shackelford
MCSE, CCNA, Microsoft MVP: Exchange
Shackelford Consulting

Chkdsk didn't help the server.

Also, the problem is connected directly to the system state backup. I'm able to back up all other files w/o problems. The backup seems to freeze during the backup of the Active Directory portion of the System State.

I've applied all service packs and even some vss hotfixes. Still no progress.

Did you verify that you don't have registry corruption? RegClean4.1a could verify that.

Regards,

Mark

I ran ccleaner and ccleaner's registry clean tool. I've found that Regclean 4.1a didn't seem to work as good on 2000 and up machines. I've basically stopped using it since it seems to try an remove the same keys over and over. I assumed that regclean wasn't made to handle registry permissions. I certainly can try regclean.

RegClean does not do permissions but can correct problems with the data structure of the registry which can help.

We recently did a support call to MS on this issue.

Some other things for you to check:

1. MSKB 934016
2. Verify C:\Windows\Registration folder has System and Administrators with Full Control.

Regards,

Mark

We recently did a support call to MS on this issue.

You called MS about ntbackup freezing a server or about regclean?

Aboutn NTBackup and System State issues. Regclean is not supported.

Regards,

Mark

That's what I assumed. I'll get that COM+ hotfix. Were you seeing complete freezing?

In our case we were getting an actual failure but nothing in the event logs recorded.

I have uploaded the fix to When downloading from that site, before installing any fixes always check the digital certificate of the file to ensure it has not been messed with.

Regards,

Mark

I was looking for files related to 934016 or KB934016 and I couldn't find it at that site. I'm fairly sharp when it comes to search engines... Either the file is no longer on thehotfixshare.net or their search engine is absolutely terrible.

Either way, I already requested the hotfix via the form on MS's site. I'll probably have the file tomorrow morning.

Thanks again.

They may have a delay before new posts are visible to verify file integrity.

Regards,

Mark

In case you want the file sooner:

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back