Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntbackup and command line!?!?! grrrrr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopKatz

MIS
May 9, 2000
US
Im having trouble getting 2000 server to run from a comand line with any parms....

if I open the command prompt and type in ntbackup it runns the backup app fine .... if I start adding pars it opens the app., and does nothing.... here is what Im trying to run!

ntbackup backup d:\programs /d "Daily backup" /t normal /l d:\log\dailylog.txt /e

even if I try just ntbackup backup c: from a command line I get nothing..... what the hell is going on....I have been using ntbackup on nt4 for years with no isues!

I know this is gonna sound silly, but go back through all the parameters that you have set up for this. I had the EXACT problem a while back and it turned out the the directory that I was trying to back up had to be typed using a UNC path. Don't ask me why this worked, but it did. I feel your frustration!

I have actualy tryed using unc names...

ie

ntbackup backup \\Zion\D$ /v:yes /l:f

and it still just pops up the gui realy quick and then it goes a way with out doing anything...

Im running out of ideas....

I think I got it....I went back through your command line and you are missing quote marks.

ntbackup backup d:\programs /d "Daily backup" /t normal /l d:\log\dailylog.txt /e

should be:

ntbackup backup d:\programs /d "Dailybackup" /t normal /l "d:\log\dailylog.txt" /e

I think this might work, I don't have a tape system to back anything up, but give it a shot...

here is the help section from windows:

ntbackup operation path [/a][/v][/r][/d "text"][/b][/hc:{on | off}] [/t {option}][/l "filename"][/e][/tape:{n}]

you might also need to specify the tape device to use...and try to specify whether "/hc:eek:n/off" is on or off....

Well... I have oficaialy given up using ntbackup to schedual my backups on win2k... Im using veratis software to do it... it seems to work fine.... it is just kinda fustrating that M$ would f@#k with a peice of software that works fine.....

oh well

thanx for the help form those who responded

katz

I am trying to automate the running of MSBackup from windows 98, is it possible to do this with a script similar to the type shown for ntbackup?

any help is appreciated

I know this is a little late, but we are just now upgrading from NT4 to Win2K. The problem is that the parameters for Win2K NTBACKUP have changed significantly. Go to the Help system for NTBACKUP and look up "Command Line". You cannot use a /d description, and may have to use a "backup set" instead of normal paths to specify the folders to backup.

I'm also trying to use ntbackup via command line as I need to incorporate this in a script.

please can you give me an example of a command line
eg. I want to backup F:\stage\logs to a DLT tape device that will append to tape. How do I get the device name?
If I goto Computer management->Removable Storage->Physical Locatio->Dell (TM) PowerVault 110T (TM) DLT1 VStape Drive->Drives, under Name, it says "Drive 0" . Is this the device name?
There is no "e" option and
{/l "C:\log.txt"} does not work.
{/l:f} works .. f=full,s=summary,n=none. There is no option where I can specify a logfile name.

Please help, very desparate.

Thanks,
Wesley Chetty.

Until you get used to using ntbackup I suggest using the backup wizard and use the "advanced" options and set up a scheduled backup--even if thats not what you want. When you are done go in to schedule and copy the complete backup job into a batch file where you can look at it and work on it. Especially if you are going to back up to tape as I have found you need to use the object GUID id code to identify the tapes the tape name doesn't seem to work.

I have to agree with CHESTNUTTR. Personally, I use a third party software to backup to a tape drive, but if the command line doesn't work, use what MS gave for a gui. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Time past and time future
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present".
T. S. Eliot (1888-1965), Anglo-American poet.

can anyone sujest to me the best backup type, eg: normal, copy, etc

Matthew Hankins

Network Technicain @ DGI Hereford

Matthew,

The best backup type that you can have is the Full backup done daily. That is if you have the media available and the time schedule for it. If your backup takes more than 4 hours to backup or the capacity is more that 24GB, it is then best to use the full + differential backup.

beezee28
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back