Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT8D09BA Analog cards going bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswiggins

Technical User
Oct 11, 2006
US
We have had a history of our NT8D09BA cards going bad on our Nortel PBX (Option 61C Version 2921 Release 4)
The phones on the card will lose their dial tone and the red light will come on. The only fix has been to replace the card.

Luckily we have a maintenance agreement, so the cards are replaced free of charge, but what could be causing all this? We have gone through 12 cards in the last year.

We have 4 super loops and it is not isolated to any one of them. Centurytel does the maintenance on the PBX, and they have not given us a reason for the problems.

We thought of lightning, but most of the cards and their phone lines do not leave the building. We also have surge arrestors on the phone lines.

Anyone else had this problem?

Marty

Is there a problem with Static electricity at the site? This could be a cause.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

The surge arrestors on the phone lines - do you mean the Telco lines? Or do you mean on (some of) the PBX station TNs?

I only ask because if there is protection on the PBX stations, that may be an indication that someone had a similar problem before.

It's also worth looking at the system ground to see if it could be improved

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

Just a thought. Modems and fax machines on the floor could have a different ground reference than the PBX. This could cause problems with lightening even though the lines don't leave the building. Make sure that all AC grounds are bonded together.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

The surge arrestors are between the PBX and the telephones in the plant.

We do have fax machines and vending machines that use modem lines, so that is something to look into as well.

Not sure about any problems with static. I will have to check the grounding of the PBX.

Thanks

mswiggins..surge protection between the two buildings?ok
make sure the cable is properly grounded just because you
have surge protectors dont mean the cable is properly grounded and if not you will have what i call a high
dollar bridging clip and that can cause all sorts of trouble.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

those cards have factory problems, like 5 years ago Nortel change all the cards free.

i just did a idcs all (script) and i must have 30 ba's in my 81.. if nortel did a recall we might have heard about it.. we do maintnain 1000's of nortel switches.. anything in common with those bad cards?

we have had less then one bad card per year on this site.. maybe one port a month.. and we have 4000+ analog stations.. the grounds could be wronge.. if your isolated ground have standing voltage..etc...

i would get century to come in after hours and pull both grounds and make sure the iso in not just another earth ground..

the bad news is when you renew your maint, usually trouble history helps determine cost..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back