Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4N40ACe5 backplane problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2007
US
Has anyone experienced backplane failure on this core/net module. Myself and another tech had catastrophic failure on a AC 61C upgrade. It appeared to have a short in the new NT4N41 Ccpi bay even with no cards plugged in sparking between the 2 stacked PCB's where the group plugs are. I know the first release had a problem with backplane cracking if you ejected the P4 cpu too often but this was nuts. It wacked the system hard and we had to revert back. Still spinning from that one trying to clean up the mess. Just thought I would post and see whats out there. Ill update if we find more out. thanks

There was an issue with the backplane power plug, but was supposed to be resolved in 2005. Is this an older unit? There was an adapter kit for the plug, but I'm almost sure it is no longer available. Sparks and Arcs? No smoke? Does the room smell funny? Check all of your power from the power supply.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

No they were new. No smoke but sounds and smell. This was a chasis ug from the 68060E cpus. The AC CEPS were replaced to comply with the pwr req's. They are correct also. We checked the module pwr connector thought maybe the Mpdu's were wired factory internal wrong. But they appear to be wired the same(right or wrong). Output good anyway. The power to chasis connectors were transferred from the old CE cages per NTP's and installed correct orentation. Been doing this awhile and never experienced anything like this before. Of course the first thought is an install error but we cannot find anything yet and it's really somewhat simple when you get down to it. Thanks for the suggestions

Time to contact Nortel/Avaya to get this resolved. Don't do anything else till then.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back