Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 WORKSTATION USERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

anton1001

Technical User
Jul 1, 2001
TT
I have a small NT4 workstation network of about 10 computers. I have about 30 users all of whom can use any machine on the network. Im in the process of entering usernames etc on the system but I dont want to go to each machine and enter usernames, passwords etc. Is there a way that I can enter all the username info on one machine and have the other machines import it or export it to otther machines??. I know I can use a PDC but I dont want to do this.

Thanks

Essentially, no. There ought to be some 3rd party utility out there that can automate this, but within NT, no. It all has to do with the relationship between usernames, machine names and SID's- a bit much to go in to here.

If you get the NT Resource Kit from Microsoft you will get a command line utility called AddUsers. You can create a text file with all the users, passwords, groups, etc... and use the AddUsers command to upload it into the PCs security DB. This way you would only have to execute the upload command once on each PC instead of keying all the names multiple times through User Manager.

:: What about the 'net user' and 'net localgroup' commands.
:: You still have to run this batch file.

:: Add users
net user newperson1 /add
net user newperson2 /add

:: Make a group
net localgroup newgroup1 /add

:: Add users to the group
net localgroup newgroup1 newperson1 /add
net localgroup newgroup1 newperson2 /add

:: Output to text file to see if it worked
net localgroup newgroup1 > c:\newuseroutput.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.