Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 to Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

pw3382

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
GB
Does anybody know any simple steps for migrateing a NT4 primary domain controller to a Windows 2000 Domain controller.

Cheers

Maybe i wasnt clear, what i'm trying to do is to demote the NT4 primary domain controller and replace it with a Windows 2000 Server/Domain.

So any basics would be helpfull

Cheers

install a new NT4 BDC,
promote it to PDC
and then upgrade the PDC to Win2K ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

PETERVE has offered your best solution. NT4 will not allow you demote a PDC to BDC unless it was originally configured as a BDC. NT4 also will not allow you to promote a standalone to BDC or PDC. W2K does not have these limitations.

don't forget to take a BDC offline when upgrading the new PDC to Win2K (running as PDC emulator)
When something goes wrong, you can still bring the BDC back online and promote it to PDC

Don't upgrade a NT4 BDC to Win2K domain controller, it will corrupt the SAM... only upgrade a NT4 PDC to Win2K... it will run just fine ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back