Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 to NT4 Trusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROFNUD

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
GB

It's been a while since I created an NT4 trust, I just need to run this by some-one cos I'm stuck.

Domain CL needs to Trust domain FD.

I have added the following to LMHOSTS (yuk) on CL01 (PDC for CL domain) Making sure the domain name and spaces add up to 15 chars in the second lines.

10.10.193.11 FD01 #PRE #DOM:FD
10.10.193.11 "FD \0x1b" #PRE
10.10.193.11 "FD \0x1c" #PRE

NBTSTAT -c shows the domain and server entries, so this is fine, but NET VIEW /DOMAIN:FD gives system error 6118 (List of devices unavailable)

When creating the Trust I get "Cannot find domain controller".

I have changed the CL01 WINS server to point to the clients WINS server and messed around with all sorts.

In the end we tested creating the trust in the opposite direction and this worked straight away, so it must be something on my end (CL domain).

Any Suggestions?
Thanks in Advance
Si...

Any reason why you're using an LMHOSTS file and not creating the trust in User Manager for Domains? i.e. Policies > Trust Relationships.

I am using User manager for Domains to create the trust. Thats when I get the message "Cannot find domain controller".

Si...

Sounds like the FD domain controller is not in the WINS database for the CL domain. Try adding a manual entry for the PDC in the FD domain.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Thanks Andrew.

I've treid manually addeding WINS entries for FD01 and the FD domain in the WINS used by CL01, and also changed the WINS on CL01 to point to the WINS used at FD but they didn't work.

Something strange though:
If I use the wrong password it says "Incorrect Password", but the correct password says that the domain cannot be found.... !!!

Si...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back