Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Terminal Server Printing Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohdowt

MIS
Apr 10, 2001
US
I'm setting up users to print to their locally attached printer via Citrix client software and Dialup Networking.
They dial into a Cisco RAS pool (not sure the model) which allows access to our Terminal Server farm. When dialing up, the user is connecting to a specific server, not a published app.
When they login, I have them add their LPT1 printer. In this case an HP DJ820. When they print however, the job gets stuck in the queue, only saying 'Deleting - Printing.'
No activity on the printer itself. I use the printer driver off the HP site.
I seem to have better success with laser printers (HP4Plus, HP6L, etc).
We run NT4 Terminal Server SP5 with Citrix Metaframe 1.0.

Thanks for any help.

nohdowt,
Check the User manager for domains on your terminal server. Select one of the users dialing in and make sure that Terminal server automatically attaches to thier local printer. no need for them to load anything. It's beena while since I looked at it but I think it is under the Profiles button, the 2 or 3 radio buttons on the upper left hand side. Once you find it make sure that all of the folks dialing in have the same type of profile set up.

Regards!

Thanks for the reply, tjb.
I forgot to add that the user doesn't have to recreate the printer everytime he/she logs in. The queue doesn't get deleted when the user logs off.
You're referring to the Config button of User Manager I presume. None of the checkboxes you talked about (Connect Client Printers at Logon and Default to Main Client Printer) are selected. For some reason, a user with a local laser printer is able to print this way.
Inkjet printers don't seem to work and I don't know why.

HP DeskJets are notorious for giving issues in this environment.

The only HP colour DJ's I've had success with are the 500 and 600 series. You could define the 820 as a 690 in the wtsuprn.inf file, but you'd possibly lose functionality.

Have a look at the link in my Printing FAQ in the Citrix Solutions forum on this site.

Good Luck!

Thanks for letting me it's not an uncommon issue, CE. I'll check out your FAQ.

I had this problem with a HP dj970. Called HP and they said their driver is not written to work in this environment and they are "currently developing" a new driver. 6 months ago they told me it'd be on their website within a month. Nothing yet. *sigh*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back