Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 SP6a and W2K login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

clausen

Technical User
Jul 14, 2001
US
I am having trouble maping a drive from our WIN98SE clients, logged into the domain, to a W2K apps server. The W2K server has joined the domain and logged in. It shows up in the browse list. However when I click on it, I get an error message saying the server is unavaliable. It's in the WINS database and the IP address is correct. I can map using the ip address (\\192.168.1.1\d$) and it works, so I would conclued it is a WINS issue. When I check the WINS database it looks good. Does anyone have a suggestion?

The following is the hardware enviroment

10) WIN98SE clients
1) W2k Client
1) PDC NT40 SP6a
1) BDC NT40 SP6a
1) Apps1 NT40 SP6a
1) Apps2 W2K (member server)

Thanks

Chris

Please guys come on!!!! I was expecting some ideas on this? Does anyone have ANY idea. This is a real strange one to figure out.

Chris

I'm taking a stab at it: NetBios over TCP is NOT a requirement of Win2K but is a requirement IF you wish to share down to non-Win2k machines.

Nope, thas not it either. Man this one is a real head banger! If I ever figure out this one I'll be sure an post it here.

Chris

Are all the machines in the same network? If it is isn't necessary the use of WINS.
However if all is setted fine I think it is a problem of Master Browser. Probably you have a master browser on the net that can't see the W2K server. Try to force a master browser election of a NT or 2000 Server in the net where is the client you are using to connect. You can find the utility in the resourcekit (browstat.exe elect <transport> <domain>).

bye

Do you have DNS setup for the W2K server locally?

Can you ping the server name from the Win98SE clients?

If not add an entry to the clients Hosts files and see if that changes anything.

Delete the WINs entry and try again after restarting. You may have other issues with the W2K server that can affect how it resolves in the browse list.

DC

Well I tried to force a browser election, nada and here is what I get now. I did make the following changes also. Told the APPS2 server (w2k) not to participate in a browser election. Told APPS1 and BDC to automatically participate.

PDC Happy :)
BDC NOT HAPPY! ;_(
Event log says it saw a browser election and was (error 8006) trying to determine who the master browser was. It tries every 15 minutes, the default.
APPS1 Happy :)
APPS2 Happy :)

Chris

Wins is set up locally and does work. All the computers show up in the browse list. I have rebuilt the WINS database, deleted it, reinstalled it, but the problem still exists. The W2K box does not have DNS set up locally. It points to our ISP and used their DNS for lookup.

Chris

HI!

First try this:

from the client:
PING APPS2servername

From the APPS2 server:
PING clientcomputername

Check if you have an old LMHOSTS file on workstations.

Remeber that W2K uses DNS as primary name resolution, so implementing internal DNS an a fiction internal domain name &quot;companyname.lcoal&quot; (with a related ZONE on DNS server) might solve some problems.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

What about this:
NT4-SP6a servers.
W2K or XP clients.
Roaming profiles.
Create file on desktop => logout => login => file there => ok => delete file from desktop => logout => login => file there again.
The path to the profile is \\srvfile001\profiles$\JJones
Rights on share and dir are: Full.
If i change share to profile to \\srvfile001\JJones-profile all seems to work.
I do not want to change all the user shares.
Why is this?
Can anyone help?

I too have seen this and at first glance it appears to be a WINNs issue. I am not certain whether it is a WINNs issue but we have found this workaround, editing the LMHOSTS file on the client.

(I have taken comments directly from the LMHOSTS file itself that describe what this file does.)

'This is a sample LMHOSTS file used by the Microsoft Wins Client (NetBios
# over TCP/IP) stack for Windows98'

It will direct you how to include the IP address and the UNC share name of the server you are trying to reach on your network.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back