Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Server shared folder permissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msy

Technical User
Aug 12, 2003
AU
I have a NT 4 server. I'm tring to share a folder in the NTFS volume ,so users in Staff group can Save into that folder BUT NOT delete files. I have set the permissions as follows:

Share Permission to "Everyone" group with "full control".
NTFS Permission to "staff" group with "Add & Read".

When users from Staff Group try to save a word document to this shared folder, i get a "Read only" error. I have check the folder properties, but it is not set as "Read Only"

If i change the NTFS permission to "Change" or "Full Control" , it works fine.

could anyone pls help?.

Thanks
Peruma

"Add & Read" means adding the new items to the folder and reading any item, but not changing any item.

"Change" means to change and file within the folder.

Try to give the special permissions and choose from those.

PSingh

I have tried giving speacial permission. But it also didn't work.

You're on the right track, but I dont think the changes were applied properly. When you look at the security tab of a folder, you'll see the users/groups with the permissions and the abbrev. (RXW)(RX)
The first grouping is the permissions given for folders and the second is permission given for files. Make sure you give special permissions for both folders and files (leaving out the delete options).
Once your permissions are chosen and you're back to the listing of users/groups you must check the boxes above the have the permission applied to existing files and folders. Click OK to have changes applied. Good luck.

Hi PHILANDO,

Sorry for the late reply. I did as u said. It did worked.
Thanks sooo much for u'r help.

cheers

Hi All
I have a NT 4 server. I'm tring to setup a folder called "submit" inside "Staff Work" folder in a NTFS volume ,so Staff group can Save into that folder BUT NOT delete files. All the home directories for the staff is inside the "Staff work" folder. This folder has "Read" permission for the staff group.i have setup "submit" folder to have special permission, File access-RWX and Directory access - RWX.

"Staff work" - staff group has (R) access
"Submit" (inside the "staff work") - staff group has special File access (rwx) and Directory access (RWX)

problem....

When users from Staff Group try to save a documents to this "submit" folder, they get a error stating this folder is read only. I have check the folder properties, but it is not set as "Read Only"

If i change the NTFS permission to "Change" or "Full Control" or "special file access permssion-(rwxd)", users can save thire work.

But i need the permission to be set,so no one in the staff group can not delete files in the "submit" folder.

could anyone pls help?.

Thanks
:)

hi MSY

I am having the sam problem as you. Did you manage to resolve it ?

MSY,

"Staff work" - staff group has (R) access
"Submit" (inside the "staff work") - staff group has special File access (rwx) and Directory access (RWX)

Maybe try this:

Can you create share on the Submit folder. Give the users CHANGE on the share. Have users connect to the SUBMIT SHARE to save work.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back