Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 server not visible in Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvbruwae

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
EU
Hi

I need to make an NT4 server appear in the "Network Neighborhood" browser, but I can't find the setting for it. Does this have to be done by setting a certain permission or registry key? Only some of the NT4 servers in the network don't appear in the browser, so I guess it has to be a local parameter that isn't configured. I made sure that the server is not "hidden", and the browser service is enabled as well, but I still can't see it. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Do you have WINS and/or DNS configured? If so, ensure that the server is configured for both -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Both of them are well set up. I'm going to check the firewall routing tables to see if something went wrong over there.

Do you mean in Network Neighbourhood....????

Is the server Ok otherwise...??? Can you map drives etc to it....????

Yep, it's fully accessible through mappings etc.

Good question.... but does one have to run WINS and DNS or can you just run DNS?

I checked the browser services on the different subnets, and it looks like all member servers on this specific subnet are not showing. Apparently, there's something wrong with the master browser server, but I can't see what it is... The strange thing is that the servers on this subnet can't even see themselves in Network Neighborhood.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this....???

Checkout thread55-102345, describes the use of BROWSTAT and might be of help to you........

Rebooting the master browser solved some issues concerning the browsing, but still some servers do not appear. My collegues are still digging into the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back