Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 server and VPN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2003
GB
I have been attempting to establish a VPN connection from home with my w2k pro laptop but I cant seem to get the desired result. I connect to the server ok, it validates my user name and password and welcomes me to the domain. At this point I double click network places expecting to be able to see the entire network but It can't see anything.

I checked all the settings and everything seems fine. I cant see the shares on the server or any other machine in the domain. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

When i check the Remote access manager on the server it confirms that a user is connected and the user has access permissions.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks,
BigDirk.

if you rmember the computer name where the share resides

bring up an internet explorer, type in the UNC

\\(computername)\folder_name

see if you get any response, if your PC at home is not part of domain (joined the NT/2000 domain) you would need to get passworded again in the file level

try that
J

If you are connecting to an NT4 network via dial-up, remember to set the WINS server on your dial-up connection.

Open the properties window for your dial-up connection, click on the Networking Tab, and double click on TCP-IP.
Then click the Advanced button and select the WINS tab.
Enter the WINS server IP Address here.

W2k uses DNS, but NT4 still uses WINS.

Next time you connect, you should see all of your folders, etc.

Check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back