Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 NTLDR versus 2K NTLDR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOB

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2000
CA
Does anyone know of a good reason why I can't replace NT4's ntldr with W2K's ntldr?

Run SP6a on an NT4 HD > 8G and PC has the "Disk I/O" error and/or "NTOSKRNL.Exe missing" error etc. I understand why it is an issue and I can fix the problem with ERD Cmdr (98% of the time) but it is becoming annoying. I have found that if I replace the NT4 ntldr with W2K's ntldr and then do SP6a, it doesn't crash. Please note that if I switch it back, even though it doesn't crash, it will now crash when using NT4's ntldr (and I can fix that). But I'm lazy.

So - Does anyone know of a good reason why I can't replace NT4's ntldr with W2K's ntldr?

Thanks in advance
LOB

are you replacing ntdetect.com too? I've got several NT installations using either 2k or Xp 'boot sectors' (ie, ntldr & ntdetect.com) - but I've never replaced just ntldr, so don't know how that behaves.

Well I hadn't considered it but if it is a better way to do it than I would use it.
So you haven't had anything stop working or go goofy with 2K's ntldr & ntdetect as the only files replaced on a NT4 workstation?
Thanks

No, nothing odd (just get 2k or XP 'white bar' at start up, and blue info screen uses a different font, but no problems).

Thanks muchly, appreciate the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back