Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Management Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzer

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
GB
A nice simple one here. Due to corporate policy and against my better judgement, I've built an NT4 Cluster to replace our Novell 4.11 Server. I've started migrating the first few users and administration is a pain. I'm looking for a management tool to mimic Novell's Application Launcher. It needs to be able to deliver applications to users workstations, manage their Start menu based on group membership, and track software/ hardware would be a bonus. I know of Microsoft's SMS 2.0 but khave no experience of it. Can you recommend SMS or anything better. Cheers

Not used SMS 2.0 but I gave up on SMS 1.2 (I think) by the time I got anything configured it was quicker walking around the building, only had 25 users at the time but growing.
Haven't tried this personally but a lot of contacts have said to use Intel LANDesk (ver 6.5 currently).

Currently have 126 NT Servers with 2400+ workstations and SMS 2.0 has been a lifesaver. The distribution of applications is a breeze and the ability to remote control save hours. The software metering is rather problematic so we have moved away from that. Other then that I can give a strong thumbs up to SMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back