Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 LAN Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

marconotsopolo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
GB
HI can anyone help, I'm a little stuck. We have an NT4 LAN running TCP/IP and NETBIOS, each win98/w2k client can see the server and logon, however when trying to ping the server we get request timed out. The same happens from the server, we cannot ping any of the workstations. No firewall is in place at present. I have uninstalled all network adapters,protocols, everything and re-installed, and still the same.

NT4 Server SP6a
WINS
MAILSERVER
VSCAN

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated..
Marco

Can you connect to the server from the client or se them in Net Neigh?

Try removing NetBIOS from everything. Ping uses TCPIP - are your settings correct?

Make sure that your IP configuration is correct and that you are using valid IP addressing on all your machines.
Witout a router you need to have all your machines on the subnet to be able to ping.

Hope this helps

Thanks everybody for your help and advice, I have figured it out.. one of the support guys installed Zone Alarm on the server and uninstalled a few days later, however what he did not say was that the un-install was not very successful and it was this that was stopping the ICMP traffic from entering/leaving the server.

Cheers anyway
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back