Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4/IIS 4 Server denying Win2K user logons

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenninbe

Instructor
Jan 28, 2002
US
I have an IIS 4 Server on an NT domain that has a website with a secure folder in it. This folder is an NTFS directory under the website's main folder. It is secured with ntfs folder/file permissions that are granted to specific users. This NT4 server is on our old NT domain, and we have new Win2K domain users that need to access it.

I have added these Win2K users to the folder permissions and checked all the trust relationships between domains. I have verified that these users have "Log on locally" access for this server. The IIS security is set for Windows Challenge/Response.

The only people that can successfully log on to this part of the website are admins and domain admins of the old NT domain.

I have tried every combination that I can think of, but end up with the same 401 Access Denied message on the website. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Beau

First off, the users don't need the logon locally right, unless you want them to be able to physically logon the the computer.

Second, it seems you're having a permissions problem. You can try to create a temporary share on the server, and give certain groups access to it. Then, from one of the users that is a member of this group, try to access the remote share. If you can't, you have an issue with the domain trust and/or user rights.

Next, re-verify the IIS and NTFS permissions for the web site. Good luck.

Yep. It was an NTFS permissions issue, but not easily noticed. The default ASP page had another page that it referenced. The user didn't have access to this other page...

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back