Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 group logon scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKinton

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2002
GB
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I can't see anything.

Server OS: NT4 Server sp6a
Client OS: Win 95/98

I can happily assign a logon script to individual domain users but was wondering if logon scripts can be assigned to a group. I have 60 users and want them all to run a script on logon. I can't seem to find out how to do this without setting each individual user with a startup script.

Is it possible?

If so, how?

Thanks

TK

Not sure if it is quite what you are after, but have a read up on a tool called ifmember.exe which you can use in a log on script and set items depending on what group a user is in.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

We use a Visual basic script and call this vbs from a batch file to solve this problem

Sub LoopGroups()
IF CheckGroup("IT") = "TRUE" Then
WshShell.run "net use G: \\server\it" , 0, True
Exit Sub
End IF

IF CheckGroup("Accounts") = "TRUE" Then
WshShell.run "net use G: \\server\accounts" , 0, True
Exit Sub
End IF

We have found this works but the members must be part of a global group and not a local group

I would suggest that you use KIXTART, it's free and will give you all the login tools needed for group management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back