Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 clients need drive mapping on W2k domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coch

Technical User
Jul 4, 2002
GB
HAve about 30 nt 4 clients that need a S mapping as a drive, the 2000 clientsa not a problem as they are picking up the group policy from the OU, how can I get the NT4 clients to pick up this mapped drive???

You can map the drives locally.

I had this problem and the only viable solution given to me was to upgrade the NT4.0 clients to Windows 2K professional.

Sorry I can't offer better advice on this one!

You could write a .bat file to automatically map network drives.
Put a copy on the server and set the users profile in the AD to use your .bat as their logon script.

I had thought of that but the problem that I have is this, all 5000 users currently have a logon script which is the same, and I don't want all of them to have this mapped drive. The people that need the mapped drive are all currently members of an old NT 4 security group called HR, would it be possible to try to find this old NT4 security group and modfiy this???? I have looked in Syslog but cannot find it, will it be in ntconfig.pol?

You could put all those NT users into an OU in Active Directory, and apply a group policy to them which specifies the Batch file which has the drive mapping info. The policy will only affect them, not any users outside of the OU.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Claudek - All users are in an OU with a group policy (batch file to map drive on logon) being applied to them but this only maps drives for Windows 2000 clients not NT

It sounds to me like what you need is an IF Then statemant in your login.bat that determines what OS the client is running and then only runs the map command if the client is NT and not Win2k. I used to use the %OS% variable to accomplish this but that could only tell the difference between Win98 and NT. What you might need to do is set your own custom variable in group policy. This variable would then only be applied to Win2k machines. When your login.bat runs, it could look for the presence of this variable and then take the appropriate action.

Hope this helps.

The manual states that Group Policy does NOT WORK with NT. You must use POLEDIT to generate policies for NT. If you know how to generate policy from an NT server to NT clients, then generating policy is exactly the same using a 2000 server to NT clients.

Windows 2000 has a netlogon share where you can put the loginNT.bat for the NT users. Simply specify the loginNT.bat in their profile to use and they should be able to execute the batch file.

Claudius (What certifications??)

So If I can find the old NT4 security group called HR of which all 30 are members I can add a net share in there? problem is I can't find the old NT4 security group called HR any ideas where that might be kept on a W2k server?

Alternatively, create another bat file, copy all of your original login script into it as well as your NT drive mappings, call it something like NTLogin.bat or HRLogin.bat and specify that in the login script path.
Then you keep the original for the 4700 other users and have a "special one" for HR, which should put a smile on their faces knowing they are so special...
;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back