Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4.0 Domain - Strange Behaviour!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
GB
For a while now there have been some serious gremlins in the works! We don't know whether its a serious problem or not.
A few NT workstations which log into the domain are coming up with NETLOGON errors and error message 5721.
When logging into Netware it then comes up with a password for NT also (which it shouldn't) and then claims that the username and password is incorrect, when I know for a fact that it is.
When logging back in to a NT server for example it also says that the Admin password is incorrect but after a few prayers and a few more goes it lets me in but when mapping a drive it tells me to go forth and multiply.
I have checked that the domain is synchronised etc and it is.
Has anyone got any clues - this is driving me up the wall!!

Are you connecting to the Workstations using a local or a domain account....???? Are you logging onto the workstations using the Netware Client..????...or connecting to netware seperately....???? Sounds like some form of password issue....???? How do you keep usernames and passwords synchronised....????

Have you tried mapping the drive using \\domain\username rather than just the username...????

We run the NetWare Client and log onto Netware primarily, but there are some users which need access to drives or applications on NT servers. They log into NT with a domain account.
When they are first logging into NT, they log into netware as normal but then they get an NT login also, there is an option to synchronise with netware account so they only need to log in once into NW.
This seems to be screwed at the moment. They also get errors with there local NT account - saying something along the lines of 'couldn't get logged into NT, would you like to log into the workstation' etc etc.
There is also an issue with mapping a drive to a particular NT server - it asks for a password before it maps it but it won't accept any username or password - even the Admin one.

It sounds like you must be using Novell's NDS Corporate or NDS for NT. Have you tried manually setting both login account passwords to the same thing?

Yes, that's what we do, but of late its been saying that the password is incorrect - even though it's right - if you know what I mean!!!
I don't know whether its a secure channel issue or not - I suppose if it was I wouldn't be able to scynchronise the domains.

Can you sign on to NT using a workstation without the Netware client installed (uninstalled using UNC32.exe)?

Sounds like it could be a domain authentication issue for the Workstation accounts....???? Try setting the workstation to become a member of a workgroup...then using server manager remove the workstation account from the domain.....then set-up the workstation as a domain member again........?????

That sounds helpful.
This has happened to about 6/7 workstations - is this coincidence or is it something more sinister??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back