Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4.0 configuration HELP..!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matica

Technical User
Jan 13, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a NT4.0 server with SP6. I am also running Exchange5.5 SP4.
Well, my question is: Can anyone tell me what the I need to do to secure my server from bad people on the internet.

Matica

I don't think you want to put zonealarm on a server. This will restrict all types of access (unless you permit them, and do you know about every access type you can have?) and generally cause problems. Best way would be to get a hardware firewall to go between the server and the Internet.
First, make sure all patches have been applied to your server, and that Exchange is not an open-relay (check Exchange forum for the 100+ threads that can tell you how to stop this.) If you don't have IIS (no outlook web clients?) running, the only open port should be 25 (for the exchange server.) Protect this using a AV product.

Alex

I prefer using a firewall, at first you are protected and second you are ready for future stuff you want to do with you're network.
I should buy a good firewall, it will cost you something but it's worth it

Enjoy !

Raymond

There is no need to complicate your life by putting some firewall software on a server. Why don't you Keep It Simple.
Go to "Windows Update" and let Microsoft tell you what you need. It's free and it's easy. If you keep it simple, you will save yourself alot of heartache in the future. Might I suggest putting on the Service Pack 6a security rollup Package and the IIS and IE security patches first. You can find all these on "Windows Update."

Sorry guys,

I think I shoulded explain myself better. I have a firewall allready in plays my question was more realeted to the lates patches for NT.

Since I have the ports 80 and 25 open. I don't want to be vulnerable to the out site world.

Thanks for all your input.

Matica

I think shipmate had the best link for securing any M$ products (NT4.0, Win2k, IIS5, IIS4...)

Alex

Thanks Alex I will check it out......

Matica.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back