Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4.0 admin rights and Vss admin rights confusion! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginavg

MIS
Apr 17, 2002
US
We are having the issue were someone who logs onto there workstation as 'Admin' is auto-connected to vss as the Admin user. Has anyone seen this before? PLease help the confused and frustrated one!!!

Gina

Gina,

in VSS you have probably switched on the option to use Windows Names. This means that the Windows User Logon names are used in VSS as the username. This also means you do not have to specify a password for the VSS users.
I think it is not pefrerable to have someone logged is as Admin onto Windows NT.
To avoid this, see if you can get the Admin username renamed on NT. This makes also Windows NT some more secure for hackers. Admin NT username is to close to Administrator and easily to guess for some else.
Hopes this is the information you want.
Madere.

ok I know nothing about this program...its been set up for 3 years and I took over. I have made no changes just added users. I kept the username for winnt and the username for VSS the same. I think the fact that the user has admin rights on his win2000 workstation and when he connects he is still getting admin rights. I don't even know where to switch that configuration that you spoke of.

Gina

Gina,

Ok it is good to keep the names in Windows and VSS the same. This means that people using VSS does not have to log in again. They can use it directly. I do not known at the moment where that setting is, but I think it is in the Adminstrator Part. This is the Administration Toll of VSS. Take a look in the documentation.
If you do not want the Admin NT user to have access to VSS, remove the rights from the machine. But if you are acting yourself as Admin within VSS, do not changes right in VSS for the Admin user.
In short:
Keep Admin right in VSS and VSS Server
Remove Admin right from the workstation you have "problems" with or remove the Admin user form the windows domain/workstation.
Hopes this helpes.
Madere.

What would happen if I change him to a user with admin equal rights on w2k desktop machine? Will I get the same results? I don't want to mess up his current workstation as he is developing and needs admin rights to his desktop etc...

Gina,

in fact that is what I wanted to say: rename the Admin user on the NT workstation or let him/her use a username with Administrator rights. But do not change anything in VSS.
Regards,
Madere.

Ok get this.....I checked his workstation and somehow he double clicks on visual source safe and it automatically logs him in as the admin. It never asks him for a password. How could that happen????

Gina,

that is waht I explained in one of my previous replies.
In VSS you have the option to use the same usernames as the Windows NT logonnames. Which you also want as you wrote.
This allows the users to login to VSS without a password.
You can change/add a password withinn VSS, but then you have to changes these as well when the user has to change his passowrd for Windows. I do not think that you want this administration, so leave the password blank in VSS.
Regards,
Madere.

do you know where to change this option? Also let me understand this...he is using w2k proffessional...you are saying that the admin account for his local machine is allowing him to access vss as admin? This doesn't seem to secure. How do I fix it?

gina

Gina,

it is very simple.
The first question about the option: read the manual. I am not using VSS at the moment, so I can not tell.
The second question: he is using the ADMIN account and not the ADMINISTRATOR account. This namechange is the problem. Ask your Windows administrators what I mean. Or take a course in Windows.

Read the VSS manuals first.
Madere.

Gina,
It appears he is using the username 'Admin' for his workstation logon, which is hardcoded into VSS for admin rights. You basically have two options:
1) Have his network (workstation) login username changed to something other than 'Admin', or
2) Log in to VSS admin, click (select) the admin user, click on Tools, then Options, under the General tab the second check box down (VSS 5.0) is 'Use network name for automatic user log in', uncheck this box. This would require all VSS users to enter a username and password each time they wanted access.
Preferably, it would be most convenient if you could get your network administator to disallow 'Admin' as a workstation login, since it is hardcoded in VSS.
Jerry

Hi Gina,
On your user's machine, create/change the Windows user environment variable from SSUSER=admin to SSUSER=loginID, where loginID is the user's network alias. For more extensive details, see this recent blog post, Avoiding the VSS Login Prompt at HTH,
microcog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back