Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nt workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

browners

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2003
GB
I have a dell Lattitude laptop, with nt work station onit. I want to wipe the hard drive and re-format the pc with win98.

The problem is this, the laptop has an adminstrator password onit, I know the user password but not the adminstrator password. Someone mentioned about taking the bios battery out and the putting it back in. Does anyone know of a way to wipe this thing. No dos commands work(fdisk and format)for example. I can not add software because of the admin rights. I need help

You should be able to boot off your Windows 98 boot disk and use FDISK to get rid of the partitions? They might come up as Non-DOS partitions if they are NTFS, but you still should be able to get rid of them and create a partition for your Windows 98 installation?

Don't know why someone suggested taking the battery out and putting it back in again? That won't wipe the operating system off the hard drive? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Your friend who suggested taking out the battery (or resetting the jumpers) was thinking of the boot-up password that can be set through many BIOSes. The NT Administrator password isn't stored in BIOS, it's stored in the operating system's settings, somewhere on the hard drive, as suggested, use a Windows 98 boot floppy to delete the non-dos partitions in FDISK. Create new dos partitions, format them and start Windows 98 Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back