Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT workstation can ping but not browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmojo

Programmer
Jun 6, 2002
US
I'm having a problem accessing the web

I just connected a small office lan to the internet. Connection is cable modem to linksys router to hub. The lan consists of 4 NT4 SP6A workstations, a Win98 workstation, and a Win2K Server file server, all connected to the hub. Only one of the NT4 machines can access the web via IE5.5 or Netscape 6. The other three return "page cannot be displayed" in IE. The Win98 machine can access the web just fine. The router is DHCP server.
The NT workstations are all set up the same:

DHCP enabled
IP 192.168.1.101 (or 102, etc.)
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP)
DHCP server 192.168.1.1

The machines can ping any website by name, so I assume DNS is ok.
Netscape and IE both fail to connect, so I assume it is not just a browser issue.
I've seen mention in these forums of a utility to repair winsock for win98 machines that have this problem. Is there such a process for NT? Otherwise, I think I'm down to reinstalling the OS.
I'm open to suggestion...

stmojo,

Since it is a cable service, check if the provider works on the basis of a registered MAC address. If os, go into the Linksys configuration and clone the MAC address of the Win98 machine that is working. Reset the router and try it again.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Problem solved - Microsoft Proxy Client was installed on some of the machines. Uninstalled and connected OK. Thanks for responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back