Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT VPN Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcostanz

Programmer
May 24, 2001
US
I have setup a vpn on a nt server with a linksys dsl router.
I can make a vpn connection to the server from the lan that the server is on using the local address of the server.
The problem is that if I type the address of the dsl modem/router I get nothing.
I have already forwarded port 1723 to the server.
I have 2 nics in the server from the previous setup.

What should I do?
thanks

I don't know if NT uses GRE with PPTP but you could try forwarding GRE packets also at IP 47.

Can't hurt to try but I've only ever established VPN's with IPSEC.

Niall

Thank you, but it didn't fix the problem.
Could the fact that I have 2 nics be causing the problem even though I can vpn from inside the local network using the servers address of one of the cards?

I can't see that being an issue. Is there a reason why you have two NICs? Are they both being used? If not just go to the bindings section under you Network properties (for Windows NT) and disable the NIC you aren't using.
You should also check to see if there is any info on Linksys' web site. They might have a FAQ or a knowledge base that could help you out.
I've personally never used NT to create a VPN (I've only used Cisco routers) so this is a bit out of my scope of knowledge.

Niall

I've run this configuration before.
The server indeed had 2 NICs, so it could behave as a Firewall
Setup was:

Client(WinME)<==>LinkSYS-DSL<=//
//=>@HOME<==>Win2kSvr==>LocalNet

The key to getting that to work was to assign
a Server::LocalNet IP address to the Client::VPN.Client binding

The thing to be careful with is the &quot;local&quot; domain space on each side of the VPN --
that is, LinkSys defaults to 192.168.1 as its network address,
so if you are using that, then make sure the server-side LocalNet doesn't have that network address. (not just the machine address (4 bytes) but the class C address (3 bytes).

Finally, it's very often best to not use the LinkSys DHCP,
but make your own local Lan assignments.
I'm not expert at this, but those were the problems I hit
doing a VPN over the internet.

Good Luck,
- bill

I have disabled the NIC and am waiting for a chance to reboot the server. The 2 nics were from an old setup. One was connected to the lan and the other was connected to the dsl modem. The server was running MS Proxy to handle the communication. MS proxy was causing quite a few problems with the workstations.

I have disabled the extra NIC, but the problem is still there.
It would appear when I try to connect, the server responds but cannot get thru the authentication. I think the problem is in the linksys router, but I haven't an idea on what it is. The server is correctly setup, because I can VPN to it from a PC on the LAN using the server's 192.168.1.200 address. I cannont connect using the dsl static addresss, it says the server refuses the connection.

Use the DMZ feature on the Linksys Router. (for testing only) It opens all ports. After trying that, let me know the result.

Well I just tried it and it works with port forwarding. It wouldn't work eairlier.

I am having a problem setting up a vpn between a nt v4 server and watchguard firebox II.
The firebox end is configured correctly as i can establish w98 and w2k pro vpn.
It appears to be a prob with nt server 4.
I have set up RAS on the nt4 server created the vpn virtual adaptors, but when i try to establish a connection an error return ppp link control protocol terminated.
The firebox log displays peer refused to authenticate.
So it appears it cannot accept authentication.
Have you any idea, is it possible to connect nt server 4 using DUN to an pptp server?

tutty (Visitor) Sep 8, 2001

i have the same problem. I set the ports up but it will not go any further than verifying username and password. I can get it to work if i use the dmz port and direct it towards the vpn server. However, i want to restrict as many ports as possible to keep a reasonably secure firewall.

when it finally timesout i get the message error 721.

using linksys befsr81 router

any suggestions please let me know.

Hi, I have a D-LINK DI-704 Router, I have the exact same problem..I have a win2k VPN server setup and port forward 1723 to that server 192.168.0.2. I have tried using the DMZ function on the router, that doesn't help.. the Process hangs at the verifying username, and password phase and then an error appears server did not respond

I know the VPN server works because I can VPN into myself through my LAN

I have the same problem without the router connected using two nics

I'm tring the same setup as the rest of you. I have a Win2000pro VPN setup and can access it through my lan. But if i try it through the internet no go. Also I called Linksys but they was absolutly NO HELP! They just told me to do what I already did. Good Luck!

Fixed the problem...Required a firmware update from DLINK to support VPN connections

Check that gentlemen your probably doing everything right!

I am having the same exact problem. Error 721, with D-Link 704 router. However my VPN will work from some Internet connections like my MSN dial up accounts, friends cable/dsl connections. Just when I try from my office network or friends office network, gets stuck on Verifying username and pw...then Error 721. I tried putting in DMZ and then trying, no go. I have opened ports 1723 and 47....I have upgraded the firmware to the v2.55 15....the latest...any other ideas...

I just upraded for the D-link router to Firmware version 2.56 15 and still same problem. What is weird is, I only get the error 721 from my network at work and my friend's network at work. Any other ideas???

Same problem here. It just sits at the verifying username and pass and the I get error 721.

Trying to setup VPN with WinNT4.0 server, win98 client. Can connect to server but cant browse or even see the server after I connect. WTF?

I have a strange problem. I've got a ras dial-up then I access aVPn to get onto the network. I'm running NT4.0 Workstation on the clients and NT Sever 4.0 on the server. I connect through the dial-up no problem but when I try and use the VPN I error out with a Error 721. The strange thing is if I connect from a windows 2000 profesional machine I have no problems. Does any one have any ideas?

Hello there, Like the rest of you I have been struggling with setting up a VPN using PPTP on a Windows server through a Linksys BFxxx router. the biggest road block seems to be, and your gona hate this, you can't connect to your VPN on the same internet connection as it is running on. I.e. my machine, connects to DSL through my router, I open VPN to my external address, my router loops the external request back to the VPN server and Boom, you show all the signs of connection but the authentication hangs. walk next door to another DSL connection ( or use a dial up) and vola it should work fine. I have to thank the nice folks at Intel for smacking me in the face with this one, other wise Id still be beating my head against a wall. I need to read a bit more on PPtP to understand but I believe it has to do with some kind of GRE issues.

Not that things are all pretty after this, Now I have logged on and each side seems to be happy, I can't BROWSE #$@& I'm off to look for some answers but if you have any ideas please post them here for me when you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back