Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT to 2k by moving data from nt machine to 2k machine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkkirk

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2003
US
I am the new admin
I have one server and about 40 clients.

Server has 100+megs free on primary partition.

They want 2k.

I do not think I have room to upgrade and do not want to risk a major data loss because the old admins backup strategy was not the greatest.

What is my best bet for moving accounts and data to 2k from nt?

Can I promote the 2k box to a pdc and it will grab the accounts then I can install apps and unload backup app data?
ANY HELP PLEASE

I think that link will help alot.

Remember the nt server and 2k server are two seperate machines.

ok i didnt notice that...easiest route would still be to upgrade the PDC though, it would apply all the accounts automatically and allow them to keep the same password, etc.

otehr than that though yea the AD migration tool or the cloneprincipal utility

Have not seen anything suggesting you have a new server. You can upgrade your NT server to Windows 2000 on the same box.
The option as shown by jmjaszewski is an excellent option if you have a new server as you can build a fresh install of Windows 2000 server and domain (active directory etc) and them migrate all accounts, and data across keeping both servers in synch more or less (need to establish a trust first between the 2 domains, the windows 2000 will be a new domain btw). Then on a cutover date, you make sure everyone leaves their PC switched on and using ADMT you can remotely migrate all their computers to the new Windows 2000 domain. Things to note, only the latest version of ADMT will allow you to also migrate user passwords. I have not used it so cnnot say wether it will migrate Windows 2000 pro or XP machines to the new domain with ease. Windows NT it does easily. BTW, you have not told us what OS your clients are running.

IF you have no new server and plan to upgrade your current on, you seriously need to upgrade your free disk space. Try about 1.5-2GB free before upgrade. Also, do note that applications that work in NT may not work in Windows 2000. Make sure you have a list of all Win2K drivers (printers etc as well) of all hardware before embarking on upgrades as well.

Hope that is enough for a start.

Claudius (What certifications??)

I apologize for not being clear that I have 2 differant servers One NT One 2k.

You have all been very helpful.
If you can think of anything else thank you in adavance.

First, we are a little late doing this, I know.
We are going to get a new W2k server and want to move our PDC information from the old NT 4 to this new W2k to become our DC. Also, our old NT 4 is our Exchange 5.5 server and we want to move all the e-mail users and e-mails to this new server making it the primary of the domain.
So, my understanding is that we should upgrade our current nt 4/exch 5.5 to 2k Srvr/exch 2000. Add the new W2k srvr to the current domain. Then move everything from the upgraded 2k server to the NEW w2k server? We can do this with the Active Directory migration tool?

Thanks,
Vince

ADMT will migrate the users from your NT domain to the new 2K AD domain. You do not have to upgrade the old one first.
Essentially you could install AD on the 2K box...migrate all of the users to it via ADMT then install Ex 2K on it and migrate the mailboxes over to it from your 5.5 setup. All while slamming a dew....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back