Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrino

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
Thank you for looking at my post!

I am trying to upgrade my network from NT to 2000.

Setup
PDC NT4 with DHCP and File Server (Texas)
BDC NT4 (Oklahoma)
W2K server running WINS and RAS

The Oklahoma users access files on the Texas PDC and vice versa from Texas to Oklahoma

I have a new server that I want to install W2K server on.

What is the best way to replace my PDC with the new W2K server?

I can not upgrade the NT PDC because the server is on its last leg.

I have read several articles that recommend installing NT4 on the new server as BDC. Replicating the BDC with the old PDC and then promoting it to the new PDC. Then after that has replicated upgrade it to 2000. Is this the best route? Or can I install W2K server on the new server and just add all the users to Active directory set permissions and be ok?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Madrino

Madrino,
I would find a temporary box to build as a BDC, promote to PDC and and then update to 2000. I would then build your new server with a clean load of 2000, run DCPROMO on it, transfer the operation master roles from the temp box and then get rid of the temp box. This way you do not get all the extra baggage from having NT4 installed on your new server prior to the upgrade.
If you do not do an upgrade, just install W2K on the new server you will have to build all the new user accounts, reset all the permissions, transfer all the other machines to the new domain etc. I think in your case an upgrade makes more sense unless you have a real small metwork.

Jim

Elegant solutions are nice, but right now I'll settle for whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back