Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT SP problems with Microsoft Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

djameson

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2001
GB
I am trying to install AutoCAD 2004 on to a NT4 workstation which is at the Sp6a level.
When running the install and error is generated basically instructing me to upgrade my Microsoft Imstaller to a version and Service Pack that is compatabile.

The problem is that when running the installer from either the AutoCAD CD or downloading it from Microsoft an error pops sound saying 'Wrong OS or OS version' or 'an unexpected error has occured'.

I've re-applied Sp6a again but can't seem to get anywhere. Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks All

Hi!
Just a pointer to your problem, when service packing WNT4: This has to be service packed in stages and not direct to service pack 6a; use previous versions and build off them upto service pack 6a.

Hope this is of use!

DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong - sorry, but it doesn't. Each SP includes the others, so you can happily install SP6a immediately after installing the operating system (and in this case its just a re-application of 6a - as it was already at this level).

The machine had SP5 on it before I installed Sp6a anyway.

Wolluf - yes I am referring the installer on the link above. It doesn't work throwing up the errors 'Wrong OS or OS version' or 'unexpected error has occured'

Have you had any other problems with this machine? Sounds like something has become corrupted - so one suggestion would be wipe & clean install (depends how much of a pain this would be - and I was asking about other issues, in case there is a possible hardware problem with machine).

btw - are you running IE 6 (Autocad website specified it was necessary)? And, are there any entries in event log which might help throw light on this?

The machine has been as solid as a rock until this.....
Nothing has changed Hardware wise at all and is still totally solid with this exception

I installed IE6 off the AutoCAD CD like you say it's a requirement. Looks like i'm a bit stuck sadly.

The Evont logs aren't a huge help either. Think I'll try the Windows Updates then failing that upgrade to XP.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back