Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server Tools for XP workstation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deliamay

Programmer
Sep 19, 2005
IT
I have recently changed PC from win 98 to XP pro and on my 98 machine i had Windows NT server tools - event viewer, server manager and user manager for domains (i don't know who installed this or how) so that i could see who was connected, what files were open etc. from my own PC. Does anyone know if this programme is available for XP.
thanks, Delia

You need to download Windows 2000 server tools - it's an adminpak.

You will find that the server tools probably weren't installed on your old PC but that you just have a shortcut to them. You will need to install the above in order to be able to run them under XP.

**One day, I will find a question that no one else has answered........and will also know the answer to it ! **

Thanks for your reply. The tools are in fact installed on my win 98 pc inside directory c:\srvtools there is an .inf file which contains the line
SRVTOOLS_TIP = "Allows you to manage Windows NT Servers and Windows NT Workstations from Windows 95"
I did some internet searching and found this: i think this is what i have installed even though it's supposed to be for win 95 not 98

You could just create a new mmc and add the snap ins for the servers your want to manage.

Regards,
Iain

Sorry i don't understand what you mean - could you explain what an mmc is please Iain

MMC = Microsoft Management Console

Knowledge base article KB907265

The above is for Version 3 not sure if you can config NT with it but Version 2 you difinitely can.

Basically, in xp go start - run mmc and if its installed the console will open then go to Action - Add-snapin and add the components that you want to use i.e. services, event logs sql etc.

I used to create one for each of my NT servers which were pretty useful for administration of them.

Think like Right Click My Computer - Manage... thats what it'll do minus some features such as defrag and plus some features too like SQL admin.

Regards,
Iain

Thanks Iain sorry for being such an ignoramus.

The resource kit is fine but depending what the final goal it may not do the job.

MMC's work fine in NT4 SP6a - I use them all the time - but again it depends what aspect Deliamay want to remotely administor on whether or not it'll do the job.

Iain

I mainly want to just check which files are open and which users are logged on using server manager from my PC to avoid going to the server room every time. We do have NT service pack 6a installed. I'll loook in to both options.
Thanks. Delia.

I went to the resource kit link but it doesn't say anything about using them on an xp computer ? i trust it won't do any harm to try ? Delia

Hi!
You can copy the srvmgr.exe, usrmgr.exe etc. from the NT 4.0 server and run them from XP.

forum.gif
Dean

Thanks, i tried this but when i tried to select the domain it said access denied - i think it may be because my pc is connected as member of workgroup rather than domain. (I did this to stop other domain members using my pc). Delia

There are better approaches to prevent domain users (or administrators) to use your PC.
The easiest approach is to login as local admin, add only your domain account to the local administrators group and then remove the domain admins from the local administrators group. Check also whether domain users or domain admins are added to other local groups and remove them.

forum.gif
Dean

Thanks for your help netometer - i was hoping you'd offer me some good ideas. Best wishes Delia.

On your XP pc, just go to the control panel - administrative tools - computer management.

Once in computer management, right-click on the current pc in the left window pane and select "connect to another computer". In the next window, type in your server name.

This will let you view open share, event viewer and so on. This does work connecting to an NT server.

Systems Administrator

That's fabulous - that's just what i need. Thanks a million.
Delia

Just one more question (sorry if it's a stupid one) - is there any way i can make a short cut to this operation (and other control panel items)
Thanks, Delia

Sure - when you have the computer management MMC open simply click on File >Save. Give it a name (probably the remote servers name) and then save it for example on your desktop. Now when you open that shortcut it will take you straight there.

Your mouse has moved - reboot for changes to take effect

Thanks, i tried this but there is no save option under the file menu only 'options' and 'exit'.
Delia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back