Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server (PDC) Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2000
US
What an interesting predicament I am in??? I presently have an ARCserve tape backup running - it backs up data files but not the entire server.

I want to backup the entire server---and create a complete bootable mirror of the server.....in the event of breakdown/crash - I can use the backedup server as my rescue from complete loss of data and registry entries and user ids and the sam and ACL.

How do I do this???

thank you
j

ARCserve SHOULD be backing up your entire server. If you've set your job up right, it gets all the registry and all your data. If you're concerned about missing open files you can get Backup Agent for Open Files. If it will take too long to reinstall the OS and ARCserve in the event of a crash, you can get the disaster recovery option (No, I don't work for CAI--I just get a kickback). If you want another server that is a mirror image, you can use the ARCserve copy utility. However, if you want another server that always has exactly the same data as the one and that will kick in as soon as the one dies, then ARCserve can't help you--you'll need to shell out some big bucks for a hardware solution.

Okay - thanks I totally get it! I will look into the BackUp Agent for Open Files and the disaster recovery option - I think we have it already.

Would you suggest what type of Hardware solutions there are? Just a name or two so I can research a cross-section of technologies and brands would be very helpful.

Thank you very much for your time, and, of course, in advance for your solutions; they make sense.

Respectfully
j

Sorry, I can't be much help with the hardware. All our servers are Compaq and I know they have this type of solution though you could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back