Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server not allowing connections to web page through Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

phamilton99

Programmer
Aug 16, 2000
CA
Our NT server hosts a web page that can be accessed while connected to the LAN but can't be accessed when testing the site at home. The server's IP address can't be pinged as well. What needs to be set up for this to work properly? [sig][/sig]

The server will need to have an external IP address; or if you have a fire-wall installed, a network address translation, to effect an external presence. If you already a working set-up, you need to check the policy on the firewall.

If you are using a router to connect your LAN to the net, then make sure that the required ports you under 1024 have been opened (some hosting solutions block everything under 1024 by default).

Regards.

Cranberry [sig][/sig]

Also sounds like you need to register your domain name too and have it linked to your public IP address.

I have this problem too. I'm rather new to IIS, after switching from a free web server(Xitami).
I can view it fine from my network, but not from the outside. I have a firewall, which has the necessary ports open as far as i know.
I have a free domain for now, and a "dynamic dns" program that's suppose to sync the domain with the IP.
It worked fine before I switched to IIS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back