Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server locks up and reboots itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello. I am having a problem with our Proxy server. When our problems first began this computer would lock up every other day. Now as time goes on the situation just keeps getting worse. Now the computer not only locks up but it also restarts itself. I have removed the cover off of the machine thinking that the CPU fan wasn't cooling and this did not help.

I have applied the red worm virus patch from MS to this machine. Also, this machine is scanned for viruses with the most recent definitions on a regular basis.

I am deadlocked and am not sure which avenue to explore next. Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

TracyG

Are you receiving any error messages in the event viewer? Have you reapplied the latest service pack?

Its not ideal, but this might at least see why the server is crashing, if you remove the "automatically reboot" function....right click, My Computer then Startup/Shutdown tab, theres an option to write log file and automatically reboot.....remove the tick from the reboot option.....

Have you tried moving your server to an alternative location for a couple of days....???? Could it be a power problem....????

Hello. Thank you both for your replies!

Mcconmw: I reapplied SP4 yesterday and it didn't seem to help the situation. The only errors applying to this in the event log is that the server has encountered an unexpected shutdown.

Highland: The server is connected to a UPS. This was not the only computer connected to the UPS and it was the only computer that has been restarted. Because I am desperate I have taken your advice and moved it to another UPS. Also, I removed the "automatically reboot" check mark to see if there is a blue screen or anything. I guess I will just wait and see how things go.

On an interesting note I looked at Netstat this morning and I saw 3 IP addresses established with opened ports and I don't recognize any of the IP's. I tried to ping them and received no replies. I am not that familiar with netstat, however, I am familiar with our IP's. Hmmm. Any ideas on that one?

Thank you again for all of your help.

TracyG

Do you have a WINS server on your network...???? If so, is it reporting these addresses....???? Try using tracert to see if they are connecting from your network or externally...?????

Gee..it sounds like your server is blue screening every couple of days. Do you have your server configured to write a memory.dmp file? (you can look on the same screen you configured to NOT REBOOT to see if you specified it to write a memory.dmp file.)

What kind of server? (HP,DELL, COMPAQ...)

I kind of forget how errors are recorded in SP4. They add more and more logging and reporting with the advent of the newer service packs. If possible, I would upgrade to Service Pack 6A.

Have you considered that someone is hard powering this server down every other day? Is this server locked in a room?

Hope this helps a bit.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Hello. Highland: I did an IP trace and the IP's are coming from AOL and the port that is being used is the common port for AOL. There goes that idea. We do not use a Wins server on the external side. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jpoandl: We do not have the memory.dmp file enabled I have been told that it is really hard to read. I may try it though to see for myself. Ever since I have disabled the automatic reboot it has not locked up or reported any error messages. However, we still have problems. The hard drive light is constantly on and our Cold Fusion apps are disappearing. (Hardware maybe)? When we reboot the machine they are available again. Something very strange is going on here! The server is locked in a room where no one can get to it unless they are hacking us? Hmmm well please keep the suggestions coming. By the way, have you tried to SP6a in a production environment? I have read some terrible stuff about it and am scared to apply it.

Thank you again,
TracyG

I am using service pack 6a-128 bit in our production environment. The biggest factor you have to consider before rolling any service pack out is "Will this SP version effect any of my third party applications"

In general NT service packs will not harm your server. For example, it is a no-brainer to install a service pack on an NT server that just does printing or file sharing. However, you should check with any third pary vendors to see if the third party product has been tested on the latest service pack. For example, if you have Norton Antivirus...make sure that NAV works with the service pack you are installing.

I think it is best to stay just under the latest service pack. You are right, when a new service pack is released, some people have problems. It is very hard for MS to test every situation. However, Service Pack 6a has been out for quite a while now. I would suggest to move to at least service pack 5. Service pack 5 is very stable. In fact, I have not encountered any problems with service pack 6a-128bit. ...but check with 3rd party vendors first before deploying. Also, make sure you install the UNINSTALL when installing the server pack.

I would configure the memory.dmp. Although, it can be hard to read, there is some basic information that you can obtain from it. This basic information can be inputted into TECHNET and a resolve might be found.

From the details you are giving, I think you may be running low on memory? What do Task Manager say about your memory usage? You might consider running performance monitor remotely to montitor the server better. What you could do is launch Performance Monitor from a remote machine. Target the server having problems. Monitor for Memory and CPU usage.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps a little...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Also worth checking your swap-file size......right click My Computer and its under the performance tab....as Virtual Memory........

Also.....when the server starts running slowly....try Task Manager....select the Processes Tab and click on CPU to order the processes by CPU Utilisation....if your problems are caused by an app then you might be able to identify which one it is from here.....

What did you mean about the apps disappearing.....???? Unable to start...?????

Hope this helps.....!!!!! Have fun...!!!!

Hello. I definately think we have a memory issue here.

In addition to Proxy running on this machine we have Cold Fusion running. For some reason this server will resolve say a .htm page but it will not resolve a .cfm page therefore our cold fusion apps are not showing up. Well these apps just happen to be an integral part of our web sites. We have reinstalled Cold Fusion and are experiencing the same problems. The apps appear for awhile and then they disappear again.

We will check into the service pack. If this doesn't help it looks like we will just have to do a fresh install. Thank you again for all of your help!

TracyG

Your on the right track suspecting an over heating CPU. Something else to look for is the computer's power supply. If the outputs are not correct and are degrading slowly, this can cause havoc on the system. It can even cause a false reset signal sensed by the motherboard because the power distribution micro-controllers are getting confused by improper input levels. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back