Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server freezes after a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBC

MIS
Aug 10, 1999
CA
I have a P133 Compaq Proliant 1500 with 256MG of ram and MSSQL being used, and FAT as the file system. The server is freezing up after a few hours with no resource issues. The only error is in the application log:<br>
<br>
The Open Procedure for service &quot;ContentFilter&quot; in DLL &quot;QPerf.dll&quot; failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is DWORD 0. <br>
<br>
Is there anything I can do to make this more stable?<br>
<br>
Any help is greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
JBC

SYMPTOMS<br>
========<br>
After you install the Windows NT Option Pack, the following error may occur in<br>
the Windows NT Event Log:<br>
The procedure for service content filter in DLL Qperf.dll failed. The performance data for this service will not be available.<br>
<br>
This error can also occur for Isapisearch or Content Index.<br>
<br>
CAUSE<br>
=====<br>
<br>
The Performance Monitor counters for Index Server are not loaded correctly<br>
during setup.<br>
<br>
WORKAROUND<br>
==========<br>
<br>
To work around this problem, do the following:<br>
<br>
1. Extract Ciperfm.h, Filtperf.h, Perfwci.h, Perfci.ini, Perffilt.ini, and<br>
Perfwci.ini from the Windows NT Option Pack Is20.cab file.<br>
<br>
2. Place these files in the \winnt\System32 folder.<br>
<br>
3. Type the following commands from a command prompt in the System32 folder:<br>
<br>
lodctr perfci.ini<br>
lodctr perffilt.ini<br>
lodctr perfwci.ini<br>
<br>
This should correctly install the Performance Monitor counters for Index Server.<br>

Is there any reason why it would crash though?

dodgy network card somewhere on the network?<br>
dodgy ram strip?<br>
user copying odd file names?<br>
virus?

Is it talking to any macs?<br>
(suuuure blame the macs......) <br>
One of our servers didn't like to run Norton while receiving files from our macs.<br>

Nope. I still have a feeling that it might be a relation to having SQL on a FAT partition.

One of the first things I do after a server crash, or really after installing my apps is defrag the hard drive..<br>
I use the lite version of diskeeper. It has actually fixed a few problems I've encountered with nt..<br>
Certainly the server would be more efficent using ntfs (i'm assuming it's a large harddrive).<br>
Are there other service running ie jetadmin or something that could be causing a memory leak..<br>
If's it not a PDC or BDC i would turn off all unused services. ie browser, messanger, etc..let the server just run SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back