Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT server 4.0 with 10 User License Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senoj

Technical User
Dec 19, 2000
CA
Just found out after a recent Production Server change, that a wrong version of NT Server was used.
What was used NT Server 4.0 BackOffice NFR (Not For Resale)
It is a demo version that is restricted to 10 client access licenses.
How do I change to a regular OEM version that has no client access licnse restrictions.
And I really do not want to reinstall the OS and restore all the data.

'a recent Production Server change' - so is reinstalling the correct version that bad?

Try stopping and disabling the License Logging Service.

In most cases no it would not be bad.
I guess I didn't explain enough.
This server is live and has 4 years of history records of the company on it. It is very time consuming to restore this data from tape back up. Down time is an issue here.
Is there any type of reg hack to try.
Starting and stopping the License Manager Service will not work in this case.

If this is a domain controller, build new system offline with correct version of server software, connect to system as a bdc, replicate the system and files, demote old pdc and promote new system.
CNYTech
- A PC and Windows XP Support Forum

I had the same problem seven years ago. The server was for the NAVY and did a lot of important and classified work. We tried Griffyn and CNYTech suggestions and none worked. At the end, we ended up calling Microsoft and they told us that there was no way that this could be done without re-installing the server. After trying for several days even talking with higher supervisors, we ended up re-doing the server.

However, the utility provided by BOKA seems interesting. I would backup everything before trying it. Let us know if it works.
Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back