Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Really slowing down from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSM

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2000
US
Hi guys:<br>I need some help here, My NT server is slowing down on my application (it's custom system, 25 users conected, my backend is SQL BASE )But the thing is that not only on my applications, but the server himself is slow. I start the &quot;performence monitor service&quot; and suddenly it gets going again, and everything is back to normal. What do you recommend to look for?, What shuld I monitor in the performence monitor? thanx guys!!<br>The Server: Dual pentium XEON processors<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;254 Ram<br>The Network: 25 Win 98/95/3.11 workstations<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Almost all of them are connected with UTP, just a couple of them are connected with coaxial.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4 hubs.<br><br><br>Thanx for any input.<br><br>SMF<br><br><br><br><br>

Have you enabled audit. I had similar problem when i enapled process tracking and file and object access. try that. and you can also try to swap memory and n/w cards.<br><br>rgds<br>sunil varma<br><A HREF="mailto:R.SUNIL@HLCL.COM">R.SUNIL@HLCL.COM</A><br>

have you started some&nbsp;&nbsp;proc, mem, network interface & server queues perfs to be run against the server? If you have ready access to the machine, task manager can give a quick snapshot of which process is burning the cpu/ram resources.<br><br>does this server function as the PDC as well as the sql server? sql is extremely sensitive to array capacity & firmware. ram is also an issue, the usual server that i run across for sql has 4 to 16 times that much ram, and they don't have PDC roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back