Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Print Server Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonks

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
We have just started experiencing problems with our Print Servers . We currently have 2 servers supporting over 70 printers using microsoft TCP/IP printing.

Untill recently all has been well. Now we have problems where printers are sent jobs from clients and the job starts spooling after a while the file just hangs on the printer queue.

To ressolve the promlem temporily we can reboot the server. This allows the Print server to continue operation for a while before the problem reoccurs.

We are using NT4 SP6 with MS TCP/IP printing and mostly HP printers

The immediate things that comes to mind are, you have probably looked at them already...

Insufficient server resources (memory).

Check the spool queue in the \winnt\system32 directory, are files being left after the job has finished?

Any new printer installations recently, perhaps a corrupt driver? ----------------------------------------
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I have checked in the directory you suggested and there was a very large amount of temp files left there.

I since have cleared out the folder with the files in.

What are these files and why would they build up?

if the print jobs did not complete, a copy of the temp file will be left in the directory. it helps to clear out these files from time to time, especially when you are running low on disk space.
you shouldn't need to reboot the server. try shutting down the print service, go into the directory and delete the tmp files. restart the print service and all should be well.
cheers.

took the words right out of my mouth :) ----------------------------------------
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back