Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Print Server Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2000
GB
We have an NT Server (SP6a) which we use for our print server.
I needed to add another printer today but for some reason there are now no ports listed for the printers. If I go to create a new one, it says 'Port already exists'.
This is a major problem as I can't add or edit any printers. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

BTW - the server has been service packed since this started happening - no change

If your running Hp printers, try adding a virtual tcp/ip port. Give the printer an IP number using hp's web jetadmin, then add the port. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

HP's JetAdmin is an older tool as well, but it still does the job. Of course that's HP. It's really easy to work - it will identify all the network printers, and you can change the IP address of the card.

Go up to the manufacturer's web site or load the network printer software that goes with your printer. Best advice to give ya on the info you have.

There's a newer version called hp web jetadmin. HP doesn't support the older jetadmin. (I had some problems with web jetadmin, so I got a copy of the older version and it worked. Must be bugs in web jetadmin still) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Web jet Admin really is not good.

I prefer the older Jet Admin version 2.5 to 3.0. Even 3.4 is bad since it appears to flood the network with its broadcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back