Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Policies & Netware 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugevad

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
IE
Greetings All

I'm new to the forum but I REALLY need help with this issue.

Situation :- My network is made up of Netware 5.1 servers with SP5 & clients running NT 4.0 WS with SP6. I have nearly 1000 users on my network.

Problem : -
This has only happened in the last 7 days. When a user logs in to the server(s) the default nt profile runs & overwrites their settings. Each user has their own profile on the local box. What's happening is the users are losing their own settings i.e shortcuts; IE settings & outlook express settings; sometimes drive mappings. We have setup our users to be members of the Power users & users group on the box. This is done through a netware policy which is activated on authentication. So far about 40% of my users are affected.

I'm running SOPHOS A.V. on the server boxes & nothing has been detected in the way of viruses.

Requirement :-
A way of stopping the default profile running & overwriting the users own settings

Sugevad

You should not really be storing user profiles on the local boxes, you should enable roaming profiles which are stored on the user area!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back