Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT or 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
GB
Having just been landed the task of taking on the network at the school where I work I have a decision to make almost before I start. The installers are proposing to put in NT 4 in our new 18pc suite. Eventually we hope to have 30 pcs accessing the network and I was expecting Win 2000 server as an operating system. The workstations all use win98 and I have been told that as the network is small all I need is NT. Would I be better going with what I assume is a newer product or is NT sufficient?
Also I would be pleased for any advice on book(s) that would shed light on both networks and operating systems for them. I am an interested amateur hoping to find out more but need simple texts to follow ( not neccessarily with pictures)
This site has been of assistance to me already,
Yours
Tim7

You pretty well have to go with what the company(school) wants. w2K is /would be nice, but NT4 will definately work fine.
I would imagine they are wanting to do it on a limited budget, and W2K would be more expensive to purchase.

Go with 2000, NT will be obsolete before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back