Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT on SCSI - Problems Installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsci

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2001
US
I have searched the forum and found no help so as a last resort I am posting. :( We are in the process of rebuilding several of our servers.
Boot is fine, all devices are detected. (2 x Adaptec AIC 7870 controlling: 2x 2gig hard drives, 1 cd rom, 2 tape drives). However I cannot get the drive letters assigned by the scsi controllers to be recognized. I have tried a win98 boot disk (with and w/o cd support), a backpack drive. (When I try from the backpack winnt gives the error that it cannot find a valid drive to install to.)
You could say I am scsi impaired and in need of severe help.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

rsci

Check to see if the SCSI BIOS is enabled; should be a menu selection after the CTL-A. If it is not enabled NT won't see it.

I don't see anything that says specifically "SCSI Enabled" but it will give the response, "scsi bios installed". Is this the same thing?

winnt sometime has tough time recognizing some scsi adapters
look for the atapi driver during the setup that is ide-based, try the s key and choose the atapi 1.2 driver. upgrade might be in order. you may have to replace it with a hcl recommendation.

When you install NT, press F6 just before the blue setup screen appears.

Load the SCSI driver at this point - the most up to date driver you can get - and this should solve it.

I can confirm that this works on DELL, COMPAQ, IBM and GATEWAY servers.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back