Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT network and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

surzycki

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
FR
Hello,

I would like to know if there are any NT gurus out there that know of any problems with having an NT 4 network and an XP workstation on that network. I have a system administrator with whom I work with that insists that there are problems and therefor I can't have an XP workstation. I am a software developer, so I do not know everything there is to know about networks but, I believe, that there really shouldn't be any problems, (esp if the system admin is doing his/her job correctly). But as I said I can't be sure. So I would like to know if there are any problems that anyone has experienced or knows about, and I could use as ammo if you will to counter his arguments that is could pose problems (i.e. if there are problems know, we can correct them or if there aren't any know problems) Anyways if anyone has any info, it would be appreciated if it could be passed on.

Thanks in advance

Stefan

I think you need to try and find out the REAL reason why he wants to keep you XP box off the network. He blew you off with that answer.

You didn't mention if you network is a work group or domain and didn't mention the size of your company nor how "controlling" your IT people are. This can all figure into their lack of desire to embrace diversity.

I have a site that has several XP Pro boxes running on a NT4sp6a network. It's a small LAN, 55 workstations, 6 servers. Running WINS. No problems with anything. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

My company has aproximately 115-125 workstations.
Some 95, some 98, some NT, some 2000, and some XP
in a lan/wan environment. We run NT 4 with sp6 on
the PDC and on the BDC with no problems from
XP stations at all.
Just out of curiousity what is the
latest OS he will allow?
I have seen lots of computer people
that will not move forward because
what they have is working fine.

Larry

Assuming your workstation runs XP Pro, there should be no problems at all interfacing with either a workgroup or an NT domain. XP Pro handles both very well, on the other hand, XP Home will only connect to workgroups but can still use some domain resources.

It sounds as though your System Admin either doesn't know what he/she is doing or has some personal preference or reasons for not wanting XP on the network.....maybe they don't know anything about XP?

I have been running XP Pro with on an NT 4.0 domain since June of 2001 with no problems at all.

Let me know if there is anything more specific I can help with.

Christopher

Thanks for your replies,

I think the consensus is what I thought, the system admin has no real idea what he is talking about (which I had suspected). I'll have to do some politic'ing and diplomacy to get XP on my machine (a test box if you will)

Thanks

Stefan

There are problems...
I'm in the middle of one right now...

Pushing NT 4.0 Policies at the domain login level to local settings on XP

Can't be done so far... I'm looking into generating my own template and doing some form of translation.

So there are problems there... as far as adding to a domain, or logging in, or accessing drives...or networked printers, there aren't any problems.

seems that you have to add the domain account as a local account...that way xp recognizes that the domain user is a valid local user as well - from there you can restrict them down...

when you add them, set them as standard user...then when you get your ADS you can modify group lol...

surzycki...

Now..now.. don't be so hasty.
There are two side of IT.
Users (programmers, developers..) and supports (admins...supervisor...).
Lifto is onto something when he requires you look closer on how your company 'works'. Especially the IT department works.
Diversity means more maintenance (think of the kinds drivers the support guy must keep tracks, service packs, fixes, versions of softwares.. etc) lbrown probably could share more than just a 'fine' *Smile*... even you as developers, writting codes that runs on all windows is
harder, no ? (we out of the dll hell yet ????)

I am an admin hence am on the support side... so maybe I'm a bias. But if the support guy is not ready for diversity you will share the headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back