Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Login Script - Suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

I am currently writing a login script for NT 4.0 domain.

What is the best script to implement it?

Do I have to share the drive before I can see? What if I don't share out?

How do I hide the login script so that all users cannot see? that is only administratorrs can see only?

All comments,opinions, advices are welcom.

Nas

You can also write your own batch file, depending on how complex you want to be...

Are you just connecting (mapping) to other drives? Use the "NET USE" command. Like this:

net use p: \\server\public

Name it logon.bat, and place it in the export folder, and change the user's profile to use it. Heck of a lot better to know how to do it "old school" style. Beer is food! Is it suppertime?

If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

Hi Daveyboy,

what do you mean by change the user's profile to use it?

Is it a must that the folder must be shared out to everybody? Can I don't share the folder out?

The folder you need to use is shared by default. it is located on your PDC (the shared is netlogon @ C:\WINNT\system32\Repl\Export\Scripts). This directory will be replicated to all of your BDC's in the same domain.

I think what Daveboy2 was try to say when (what do you mean by change the user's profile to use it?; is if you open user manager for domains and double click any user whom you want to run your logon script, click on profiles, then the area where it says "Logon Script Name", this is where you would want to place the name of your logon script. It will run from the netlogon share. Yes, you HAVE TO share out a directory.

I would have to agree with Dredogg above and look into kixtart for complicated logon scripts, but if all you want to do is map a few drives, or printers, then batch sould work well.

Also, you mentioned wanting to hide the fact that the script is running when the end-user logs on. You can use kixtart.

HTH - Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back