Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT folder events/triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrylles

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'd like to implement an automatic version control system using folder events. Do they exist, is this possible?

E.G. a folder contains files which are named following a naming convention i.e. first 4 chars are alpha, 2nd 4 numeric which are incremented sequentially for each new file added.

I'd like a folder 'event' or 'trigger' to activate a small VB program or batch file (this will check all filenames for duplicated 1st 4 chars and move the oldest to another folder). The VB proggy or batch file will be easy.

Can anyone point me to NT folder events/triggers, do they even exist?

Thanks in advance,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

Closest thing I can think of is the audit log on nt.

But why not make the user to create folder THROUGH the application ?
You'll have full control then.

Hi,

Sry - wasn't too clear...

At my company, we will be downloading documents straight into a folder. All documents will have a strict naming convention.

There may be 5 or 6 different document types.
so documents maybe abcde011.doc, ghjuy001.xls.
When the next document batch is downloaded, the files may be: abcde012.doc and ghjuy002.xls.

I want a folder trigger to be fired to say new files have been added which will then run my vb proggy.

The vb proggy will then move abcde011.doc and ghjuy001.xls to another 'archive' folder, ensuring that only the latest document versions are in the 'download' folder.

Kind regards,

Darrylles

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back