Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT File Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakisi

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
In our network we are running WinNT 4.0 servers with SP6a. Two of our servers are for a medium level databasing program that are used for school grades, attendance, and schedules. Accessing the data and retrieving works correctly. All users except administrators are restricted network access from 10p - 5am.

The problem I am having is running database sync and update programs during off hours. This software is windows based and makes connections to several files. Well when you close the program out it is supposed to release the connections to the files right? Well though server manager it still keeps the connection to that user even when the computer is shut off. I have to go in though server manager and manually close resource to that user. Which is cool if I had 10 people, but this is happening to about 50-100 of 1000 users.

BTW: The updates run at 1am-3am. If the update tries to access a file that is still connected to a user it will stop.

Thank You,

Leo McGraw
Huffman ISD

Are your users required to logon to the server or are any connections made "automatically" for them by the software....????

Users have to login in to the domain in order to get network resources. Each time they login a login script in form of a .bat runs. The script syncs time, maps home drive, and maps out two drives on two different server for use with the database. One map for one location and one map for another location. The software automatically makes connections to about a dozen files.

The update didn't run again when we manually ran it around 6pm yesterday. No one was at the school at that time. Well opened up server manager to check to see what users had what connections opened. There was one user connected to the database. We tracked down her room number and found that her machine was off. I even pulled the cord in frustration. We then proceeded to check every machine around that campus. No one was accessing the program.
No one was at the other campuses either. I did kick them off by the way and ran the update.

Leo McGraw
Huffman ISD
lmcgraw@huffman.isd.esc4.net

Thanks, I like that batch file and it will probably work better than the time permissions. Although I need to keep 2 users on while everyone else is kicked off. One user (machine) runs one updates one runs backups around 1am-3am

Leo McGraw
Huffman ISD

I meant to say that this program is called "SASI III" which is an old antiquated program built back in 1990. But the school district doesn't want to shell out the extra money for a newer version. And our tech budget has just been cut back due to district debts. So we try to make the best of what we've got.

SASI is an extensive program and the school district hired awhile back a coordinator for this program. Mainly in charge of instructional training of this program for teachers. Well this coordinator likes having control of the updates and runs the updates from her machine.

That batch file (from the link) would work if the updates were moved to the server right?

BTW: School Districts never make sense and try not to work for one in the future. Because useless junk and football stars come before efficency and learning.

Leo McGraw
Huffman ISD

Do the updates run as some sort of batch process on the database....???? I'm not sure if it would work, but you could try mapping from the server back to the machines u need to run the updates/backups from if it's just batch files you need control over...????

Hey, deep breath Leo....!!! The whole world's insane...!!!!

Hope the script helps........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back