Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Explorer Idiosyncrasy aka idiotic "feature"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalgor

Technical User
Mar 17, 2003
US
As part of my network duties I map a drive to the C: drive of a remote workstation. Both my workstation and the remote workstation are Windows 2K with SP2 (although we have NT 4 SP6 workstations as well with similar results) I want to use Windows NT Explorer to look at the file names within the folders on the remote C: drive. This I can do with one exception: when I attempt to look at the "Temporary Internet Files" folder of any profile on the remote workstation, the display on the right side of the window shows my local Temporary Internet Files contents and not that of the profile on the remote workstation.

I have experimented with third party clones of NT Explorer. These applications show the true contents. However, I am proscribed from using third party software due to company policy.

How can I get Windows NT Explorer to show the true contents of the "Temporary Internet Files" folders of remote profiles?

This happens on NT and 2k? I've just tried it on a 2k machine (connecting to another 2k machine), and I get the other machine's folders. I'll try an NT machine when I get the chance.

The folder on the remote W2K machine which does not display properly is
\Documents and Settings\<user name of profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
A coworker used his workstation and got the same results. Both of us are W2K.

Thanks to the Great God Gates (G3) for this &quot;feature&quot;! :p

How 'remote' is remote? I tried this between 2 machines in same domain on same LAN, and its ok.

I tested this scenario on two workstations on the same lan with a coworker accessing my computer. He had the same results...he couldn't see my Temporary Internet Folder files, only his own, even though the folder he was accessing was in my computer's directory tree in Windows Explorer..

Dalgor,

It would probably be worth posting this in the win2k forum (forum616) as it gets a lot more traffic than NT - so more chance of a response from someone who's seen this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back