Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Domain/Windows 2000 File Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonProfitTheatre

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2002
US
Has anyone come across, when accessing the network via VPN, we cannot access the Windows 2000 File Server. However, we can access all the other servers but they are NT 4.0. Also, the laptop works fine when it's hooked directly up to the network, it's just when using the VPN, that we cannot see the new file server...Any ideas??

I was running a vpn before using Win 2000 and NT. My win 2000 clients could see each other, but not the NT server. I found out that NT uses PPTP (point to point tunnelling protocol) for secure connection while 2000 was using L2TP (layer 2 tunnelling protocol). Because of this discrepancy, my VPN was only working between the 2 L2TP clients. With the Win2k boxes, there was no need to set up a RAS connection; the VPN software took care of that. That was as far as I got with it. We ended up upgrading our WinNT boxes to Win2K. You may want to look at it from that angle. Good luck.

What VPN client ? Have you tried upgrading the client software . I had issues with Nortels client on XP when using the wrong version , a lingering IPSEC client was installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back