Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Domain SMS Site & AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndouglass

MIS
Aug 2, 2001
GB
Looking for a few hints here folks..

There doesn't seem to be anything written down anywhere on what approach to take when bringing up an AD enviroment alongside an existing NT4 Domain.

Is it possible to have the SMS Site in the NT Domain to service and manage clients & servers in the AD Domain? if so what's the best approach.

Do I need to create accounts and set specific permissions in the AD environment ?

The future plan is to upgrade to SMS2003 whenever RTM is released and we've done relevant testing, in the meantime ???

I've looked at the document about moving an SMS Site to another Domain, this only covers NT Domains.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Hi Neil,

Have you had any luck with this. We are in the same situation temporarily. SMS on an NT domain and want clients in a trusted AD domain to report until we fully migrate to AD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rosemary

You really don't have to do anything to switch over to AD

If you have xp clients the logon will have to change

The %0\..\ OR %0 does not work in XP as it used to in NT ( . It works as expected when you run a batch file normally, but in a login script it would put quotes around whatever %0 resolved too, basically parsing your whole line and dropping quotes into the middle of it. OR If you had a nested command on the same line it would also blow that up too.

Other than that as long as you don't change the location of your sms system account, I don't remember doing a thing.

You will probably want to load dsclient on older nt machines so they dont all go to the pdc emulator to logon..

the logon points will all change to your ad domain controllers...should do that by itself..

can't think of much more, and thats more than likely why you can't find info on it :) there isn't much to talk about!

woops I think I misread this.... you would have to have a separate sms site in the ad side if you wanted to manage them from the nt side...my bad I didnt read this right.

Tim B

and of course I didn't say how, you would have a trust between the two and the sms service account would be on both sides with the same name and password. I'm not sure but if you did a two way trust and and entered the ip subnets in the boundaries it might also work without a new site on the ad side. There was an MS article on this I'll try to track it down. (they moved it from the orginal spot :-|

Of course I can't find it but I did find some note :)

You don't need to install a site server on both sides you need both sides trusting one another, you need the sms service account on both sides with the same name and same password.

you need to make sure the ad sides wins server is up to date and synched up with the nt side with the site servers caps dp etc.

and thats about all I can think of.. its been a while

Tim B

Of course I can't find it but I did find some notes :)

You don't need to install a site server on both sides you need both sides trusting one another, you need the sms service account on both sides with the same name and same password.

you need to make sure the ad sides wins server is up to date and synched up with the nt side with the site servers caps dp etc.

and thats about all I can think of.. its been a while

Tim B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back