Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT DISK Quota !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamDazz

Technical User
Aug 14, 2007
US
We've a Windows 2003 R2 File Server. Lets assume Folder A is a primary shared folder and folder B,C,D and E are also shared. Users map to these folders to get their files. Is there any way that we can give Folder A at least 6 GB of space which never gets lower than that. The reason I'm asking this because we are using this server for multiple users but Folder A needs at least 6 Gb of free space on the disk to run assigned processes properly. Folder B, C, D and E are using lot of space and they some times make the disk usage close to threshold mark. Than we need to clean B,C,D,E folder manually. I know we can assign quota to the root of the drive but is there any way of assigning quota to the folders?
Thanks

Have a look at File Server Resource Manager. This may be able to accomplish what you're after.

I don't see any option in File Server Management Console that relates to Disk Quota. I know we can restrict users on a Volume level but is there any way else to restrict users or allow 6 Gb for each folder that I mentioned earlier?

Can you not use FSM to restrict the sizes of B,C,D,E so that A is always guaranteed to have at least 6GB?

Topkapi: I didn't understood your question? If I'll not use FSM to restrict sizes, what should I specify to give min. space for folder A as 6Gb?

Hypothetical example - Say the disk/volume is 10GB total. If you use FSM to restrict folders B,C,D and E to total of 4GB , perhaps 1GB each, then there ia always at least 6GB for folder A.

Would that work do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back